So its common knowledge that everyone needs auto insurance in order to legally drive in this country. However, some people may have misconceptions as to what type of insurance is best for them. In a perfect world the rates you deserve would be offered to you automatically, but clearly, we do not live in a perfect world. So instead we are forced to pin one company against the other in hopes one of them actually give us an honest rate that we deserve. Now don’t get wrong, there is a lot of people out there that do not deserve a good rate. You cannot drive like a lunatic and get an A+ driving record. If you are that driver, it is even more important that you shop around for your insurance. When you need them more than they need you, it is not a comfortable situation. So let’s go through basics.
- Do not assume the first quote you get is the best. IT’S NOT! It is the best for the insurance company. They will never offer you the best rate out the door! Get several quotes and note the differences. Go with the lowest rate and the best coverage.
- The best coverage may be more important than the best rate. Anyone decent driver can get a low rate. But at what cost? Insurance is a dirty game. You have to have to have it to legally drive. But is it possible that you could pay auto insurance for years and never need to use it? YEP! But, if you reduce your policy to bare bone minimum and then get in an accident, what is worse? There is no right answer…..
- How much insurance is enough insurance? Well, that is up to you. The decision you make on that will only benefit or negatively affect you. Taking a little time and figuring out what will be best for you is the best plan. It is best to know what you want before getting quotes that way when you are presented with a policy that sounds too good to be true, you can double check that you are getting the coverage you want and need.
- Oh, did you know you can change your policy anytime you want? Yep, that is right. Now I don’t recommend doing this every month as it will create a bit of havoc, but I think people feel like they are bound to their policy once they pay for it. 100% NOT TRUE! If you feel like you may be able to save some money on your policy, GET A NEW QUOTE!
- How often are you checking your policy rates? How often do you go to the dentist? The average American goes to the dentist twice a year. This is how often you should be checking your policy. It will take you minutes and could potentially save you hundreds possibly thousands of dollars. If even if it doesn’t change, so what!! Are you mad when the dentist tells you that everything still looks great? NO! You are happy to hear it and schedule your next appointment!
- Bundle? Yep, it will save you money. If you buy a home and bundle your homeowners insurance with your auto policy, you will save money.
- Don’t ignore the obvious. If you have bad credit, you will not get the best rates. If you have a bad driving record, you will not get the best rates. If you get a lot of parking tickets, you will not get the best rates. Don’t get mad when you are not offered the best rates. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Pay off some debt and get your Credit score up. That will get you a better rate. STOP SPEEDING! Nothing is that important that you are risking a speeding ticket. If you can’t find a parking spot that is close to the store, just walk a little further. We can all use the exercise!